Almost 64 years ago a football organization came into existence in the name of UEFA (Union of European Football Associations). It was founded on 15th June 1954 in Basel, Switzerland.
Initially it had 25 members but it doubled by the early 1990s. It’s headquarter was in Paris and later in Bern until 1959. Currently it is headquartered in Nyon, Switzerland. It consists of 55 national association members. Its first general secretary was Henry Delaunay and first president was Ebbe Schwartz. Current President of UEFA is Aleksander Čeferin.
Competitions under UEFA
- UEFA European Championship: informally known as Euros, is the primary national football associations championship played by the men’s national teams of the member associations. Current champion is Portugal. However, Germany and Spain are the 2 most successful teams ever with 3 tittles each. It is held every 4 years and regarded as one of the top international tournaments after the world cup.
- UEFA Nations League: it is a biennial tournament played by the senior national football teams of the member nations. The tournament would be played in 4 leagues and one from each group will directly qualify for the subsequent Euros.
- UEFA Champions League: it one of the most prestigious club football tournament in the world played by the top division clubs of all the member nations. The champions of the respective national leagues participate and represent the country. Spanish club Real Madrid is the current champion and the most successful club ever with 13 tittles.
- UEFA Europa League: It is a similar tournament like the Champions League but, it is the second tier tournament and ranked below Champions League. Spanish club Atletico Madrid is the current title holder
- UEFA Super Cup: is the annual match held between the champions of Champions League and Europa League. Atletico Madrid is the current Champion and most successful team with 3 tittles.